Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Count your blessings instead of sheep . . .

I haven't slept well in over a week. Various members of the household have been coughing all night long, I've had dissertation discussions and revisions on my mind, it's the beginning of a new semester, and I've just been generally unable to turn off my mind. Other than dragging to get out of bed, I've done pretty well (ok, my exercise commitment has really suffered). Let me rephrase that - my food choices have gone well. I haven't had a stuff-my-face smorgasbord event that I've normally had 6-8 weeks into a new program. I feel good and am starting to see results (even with my subjective scale that shows a nearly 40 pound flux now - ok, probably time for a new one).

These sleepless nights also allow me to do one thing I love . . . count my blessings. I regularly pray for my family, and envision their safety and happiness every night - but I have had the opportunity to really evaluate my blessings. I have the most wonderfully supportive, handsome, funny husband - who is a fantastic father. I have two smart, handsome, and amazingly witty sons who love me. I could just go on and on (and I did last night, for hours!). I hope that you take the time regularly - if not each day - to give thanks for the good things in your life. Especially when it seems that you are overwhelmed with so many other challenges and life stresses, that is the time to stop and breathe - and count your blessings.

I love old movies, and I love hearing Bing Crosby sing, "If you have worries, and you can't sleep - just count your blessings instead of sheep. Then you'll go to sleep counting your blessings."

Many blessings to you. Make it a great day.

1 comment:

jenbythesea said...

Loved this post Annaleah! It's good to remember our blessings and be grateful for them. I need to do this more often as well. Thanks also for the advice about the 3m things to put paintings up on my living room walls. I'll check those out!