Monday, September 13, 2010

The small victories

This weekend was a whirlwind! My 8-year old played in his first football game, and the 4-year old is now a 5-year old . . . festivities all weekend! My in-laws also celebrated their anniversary. So, let me just disclose right out that I could have made some better food choices throughout the weekend. BUT... here is my victory ...

In the past, if I have found myself making poor choices, I let that 'oh well, I've already blown the day (or weekend)' mentality slip in. I was able to compartmentalize and make choices about where I was willing to make poor calorie choices. Case in point - yesterday we had my son's birthday party. He had demanded we all eat breakfast for dinner, so I was planning for some extra calories at dinner (breakfast - you get the point). For my lunch, we went out to eat (he wanted breakfast for all THREE meals of the day). I ordered egg whites on a bagel. Hello? Me? Yep.

I knew I was going to have more calories at dinner, and I purposefully made good choices for lunch (I hadn't had breakfast, because I never eat before I sing on Sundays). Yay for me!

Upon reflection, that simple meal choice proved to me that I am in control of this journey. I choose each meal. If I make a poor choice for one meal, that doesn't mean that everything is lost. The very next meal is the next opportunity to make a good choice.

Yay for choices. Yay me. I'm on the right path. Make it a great day.

2 comments:

jenbythesea said...

I enjoyed reading of your success in this column. I used to use a slip up as an excuse to eat for the rest of the day. Now I pretend it didn't happen and stick with healthy choices. Way to go!!!

Annaleah said...

Jen,
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who used to do that. I was sort of shocked that I didn't do it automatically this weekend. Miracles happen! ;-)