Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The answer to 'Why am I still fat? It's been almost a whole week?' - Day 6

It happens every time I start to watch my diet. I do really well the first week, and I get anxious to see results! Why aren't I the size 6 overnight? Let's explore that question?

The most obvious answer is because I am no longer in middle school (the last time I can guess I was a 6 - back when I didn't know what that was). Ok, ok. The other obvious answer would be because I've spent years doing this damage, and only a week un-doing it. Hey, I did walk today!

I am struggling with my impatience today, as always, at the beginning of a journey. Perhaps I will learn to find the joy in the small things - like that I had enough energy to come home and walk, even though I slept horribly the night before. That I have stayed very close to my 1500 calorie target all week. That I am starting to change my habits.

They say that you have to do things at least 7 times to start to change a habit. I'm not sure who 'says' that - or how many times it would mean for healthy eating. Is that 7 days? Probably not. 7 weeks? 7 months? I hope it's not 7 years! I guess time will tell, and I will let you know.

For today, I continue to be surprised by the fat person staring at me in the mirror. It's not me. It will not be me anymore. I am changing...

Make it a good day.

No comments: