Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Skinny - You talkin' to me?

I saw someone today who I haven't seen for several years. I'm at least 60 pounds lighter than the last time she saw me. After talking for a while, she said, "You look skinny! Have you lost weight?" I know that it's common to comment on weight loss when you haven't seen someone, and we normally say it to be nice. The word 'skinny' was the word that got me. Skinny. Me? Is there someone behind me? Now, let me just say that I am NOT in any fashion skinny . . . I am just hardly below the plus size line still; however, the word did make me pause.

It made me proud of what I've already accomplished, and how I am moving forward to achieve new accomplishments on this food journey. I didn't tell her that I had gained back some of what I originally lost. That's not important. It also isn't important that I don't, nor would she - really, consider myself skinny. Maybe one day. I just liked the word choice today. I needed that word choice today.

It became more important as I left her to go to a meeting with an old friend and colleague. I had guessed she might suggest we go to my all-time favorite mexican restaurant. Today I made a huge shift though. Rather than just say, "If we go there, I'll just eat whatever and get back on the plan later" - I had an attack plan in mind!!! And, who am I???

I had already determined I would have two beef tacos - a la carte. Lucky me, they were on the lunch special too! I would also allow myself a reasonable number of their yummy chips and salsa. I think I ate less than 10. Perhaps right at 10. And I wasn't mad about it! I didn't feel deprived!!! I was satisfied, and happy with my choice. Happy with myself. Score one for the home team.

Not skinny yet, but I'm getting there in my mind. Thanks for the compliment, my friend.

Make it a good day.

No comments: