Thursday, July 29, 2010

Being honest and having a goal

I know that one of the first steps for success in a weight loss goal is to be honest with yourself on where you really are. That means, not just wearing your bigger pants and telling yourself you're not getting heavier. Well, I am doing that. I won't say I'm comfortable enough to share my 'actual' weight here . . . let's just say I'm still over the elusive 200 - well over. My first goal is to hit 180. Why 180? Because during my last significant weight loss journey, I got into the 'one-derlands' only to freak out and sabotage myself. I couldn't get down below 195 consistently. This time I'm going to try to sail through the 90's, and back into the 80s. How fitting, since I'm such an 80's child! ;-)

I'm still dealing with those little guilt voices . . . sort of hard to ignore when you're eating ARBY'S and you're supposed to be on a diet!!! Let me just say, I haven't - to my knowledge - gone over 1500 calories per day in the nearly two weeks I've been doing this. That's huge! Since we're being honest, that includes eating from Outback, Taco Bell, Arby's, and a couple of local restaurants. It has been so exciting to learn how to eat at the places I love and make better choices.

Ok, I know, I'm probably going at this the wrong way. Most people start a diet eating at home more, and add restaurants gradually. I had to prove I could keep my crazy lifestyle and still make better choices. To tell you the truth, eating at restaurants had more comfort, because I knew what their calorie counts were versus my own recipes.

One recipe I did get right was the pita pizzas from last night. How great! I tracked down the Joseph's 60 calorie pizzas from the Walmart Neighborhood grocery, and added pizza sauce, ham, mushrooms, and mozzarella. By my calculation, it was under - or just at - 200 calories. Wow!!! When was the last time I ate a 200 calorie dinner??? Ok, I really didn't. I only made one, and I was full, so I didn't make a second. I had a toasted pita with 2 Tbls of salsa (yummo! - 70 calories!!!) and then when I made my husband his pita pizzas, I took a 1/4 of one of his. I still had room for a Skinny Cow ice cream bar. And I wasn't cheating!!! Did I say wow???

I'm not sure how to get through the guilt or self doubt that tends to keep creeping in, but I am determined to see this through. Oh! I didn't tell you . . . my 8 year old has also seen benefits! He went to the doctor 12 days ago. He weighed today and is down 5 pounds!!! Ok, 3-a-week football practice in the Florida heat hasn't hurt, but it was a victory just the same. He was so proud of himself, and I am proud too.

I was talking with Elizabeth about finding a new tag that reflects my Southern roots. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm interested!

Make it a good one.

No comments: