Thursday, August 5, 2010

Blessings abound

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary to the most wonderful man . . . who is my best friend in the world, and a fantastic father to our two boys. On special days like today, it's easy to see how blessed I have been in my life.

I actually used my relationship with my husband as an excuse for ignoring any healthy eating habits I might have had before we started dating. I would tell people that we 'eat like we're on vacation all the time, because we're so happy'. Hello food addiction. I am so happy to report that we are both changing that cycle. We are committed to eating healthy and enjoying it . . . so that is our new eating on vacation (see yesterday's post for easing up a bit in 'Paris' on Saturday . . . but with plenty of walking!!!).

I have to giggle as I think about what our family ate for dinner last night. I have been cooking recipes from my new cookbook, and we needed to eat some leftovers. The boys had pita pizzas (Joseph's . . . under 200 calories). Michael, my husband, had two leftover whole-wheat-crusted baked chicken fingers on his pizza to make a faux chicken parmesan, and I had three fingers (one has parmesan, two as buffalo) with celery. We did great!!!

Even with leaving a 200 calorie cushion for a snack at the end of the night (so love the 150 calorie skinny cow ice cream cones), I have been very satisfied - and even leaving some calories on the table.

I like this journey. It feels different than the previous ones, because I have allowed myself to make them different. I allow myself the freedom to make choices throughout the day - with no restriction. What a liberation. I am doing this. It is working. I ROCK!!!!

Happy day, happy life, happy eating. As I said, I am so blessed.

Make it a great day.

No comments: