Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Finding yummy alternates

I am a real foodie. I am one of those who can watch the Food Network all day, and not get hungry. I love thinking about food. It's no surprise that I am overweight; however, what occurred to me is that I have been loving FOOD . . . not really the TASTE of the food.

That realization has led to me to go on some sort of food journey of late. I wanted to find ways to have my favorite foods within reasonable parameters, but have healthy alternatives. I can't remember if I have already written about the Rocco DiSpirito cookbook I got. I am SO loving it! The pad thai was out of this world. Last night was buffalo chicken tenders with blue cheese dipping sauce. Yes, sauce. Yummy, yummy.

Tonight, after the boys go to bed - I'm cracking the brownie recipe with the black beans in it. I think it's going to be great. So far, my family has been fairly adventurous with me. Even the 4-year old liked the pita pizzas on Joseph's 60-calorie pita . . . and that's saying something. He is very picky about his pizza thinness and style. I considered it a win.

This weekend might pose more of a challenge. My husband and I are celebrating 15 years together. We are staying at the New Orleans resort at Disney, and have reservations in 'France' for dinner. France. Butter. Beurre. Bon. I love butter and butter sauces, and I love French wine. My husband said, "we're not worrying about dieting this weekend." My response was, "I have to worry about it. I will relax a bit, but I will be keeping calories in mind, and we will share when possible." Those were my big-girl pants speaking there, thank you (not literally). That was a big thought change. Before, I used to look for opportunities to celebrate something special so that I could indulge. That was the old me. The old mirror. The old mix tape. Not. Me. Now.

Make it a great day.

No comments: